Thursday, March 6, 2014

Good Luck!!

Greetings Guys & Gals!!

I'm sure you couldn't help but notice that I changed the look of my blog. Given my love of polka dots, you can imagine how excited I was to find a polka dot blog header that I can change the color of. After debating over all of the pretty colors, I chose green in honor of St. Patrick's Day. Speaking of St. Patty's Day, I have another fun little card for you! It comes filled with lots of Irish luck even though I don't believe in luck ... or coincidences ... or accidents*. It also comes to you from an oldie but goodie stamp set that I had <GASP!> never used; Sweet & Simple Salutations.

(click to enlarge)

Please hang tight while I digress for a moment to say that it is at times like this that I am glad I hang on to my retired stamp sets because Stampin' Up! isn't currently offering any St. Patrick's Day themed sets. I'll go ahead and admit that I've also been known to buy stamp sets that I can see myself using in the future because certain types of images, like the one today, only make rare appearances in the catalog(s). That means I need to buy them while they are available. I prefer to think of this as being prepared instead of hoarding or insanity!!  Don't judge!! A few other oldie but goodies that come to mind are Circus Train, Cowboy Kid, Ladybug Picnic, Monkey Business, Silly Sealife, Sock Monkey, Tractor Time, and Yeehaw. Do you have a/any favorite retired set/sets? What about regrets for not buying a set when it was available?  If so, I'd love for you to leave a comment at the bottom of this post.

Now to pick up where I left off and give you the details of today's card. I started off by stamping the horseshoe image onto a piece of Neenah Classic Crest Solar White cardstock using Memento Tuxedo Black Ink. I colored the image using my Copics alcohol markers (I can't wait for our Stampin' Up! Blendabilities launch) and then cut it out using my circle Nestabilities. I also cut a Basic Black circle (1/2 die size larger), a Gumball Green DSP circle (1/2 die larger), and a Gumball Green circle (1/2 die larger). I paper pierced around the edges of my top (white & DSP) circles using my Paper Piercing Tool and my Stampin' Pierce Mat, attached two Vintage Trinket Brads to the horseshoe, and then layered my circles onto each other using Sticky Strip for the Gumball Green DSP circle and Dimensionals for the white image circle. Once I had assembled my circles, I put a Basic Jewel on each of the four shamrocks. Next, I cut a 11" x 4 1/4" piece of Basic Black cardstock and folded it half to make an a-frame card. Simply put, the front flips up instead of opening towards the left like a typical card. I adhered a piece of polka dot Gumball Green DSP  (3 7/8" x 5 1/8") to a piece of Gumball Green cardstock and used my Perfect Layers tool to create a 1/16" border on all four sides (Gumball Green cardstock measurement is 4" x 5 1/4"). Next, I cut a piece of Basic Black cardstock (1 1/2" x 5 1/8") and ran it through my Big Shot using the Square Lattice Embossing Folder, adhered it to the polka dot DSP using Sticky Strip, and then machine stitched around the edges. I cut a piece of striped Gumball Green DSP (2 1/2" x 4 1/2") and adhered it to a piece of Gumball Green cardstock and used my Perfect Layers tool to cut a 1/16" border on all sides (Gumball Green cardstock measurement is 2 5/8" x 4 5/8") and machine stitched around the edges. I finally assembled my card by adhering the striped rectangle piece onto the Basic Black embossed cardstock using Sticky Strip, attaching the circle with the horseshoe image onto the DSP circle using Stampin' Dimensionals, and then attaching the circles to the striped DSP rectangle with Sticky Strip. To finish off the card, I cut a 4 1/2" piece of Gumball Green ribbon and laid it on the front of the card, wrapped the ends around, and secured them using two small pieces of Sticky Strip followed by Scotch tape. Last, I tied a finger bow and attached it to the Gumball Green ribbon using two Glue Dots.
 
Hallie's Helpful Hints:

Use Sticky Strip to attach dry embossed pieces on your cards. The pieces stick better and don't come off.

When machine stitching around the edges of your cardstock, make sure that the area to be stitched is free from all adhesives. They will gum up your needle -- trust me on this one!


By using the Nestabilities Petite Circles with the Standard Circles, you can increase your dies by 1/2 sizes.

When adhering paper pierced circles, re-pierce each hole so that both layers are pierced, otherwise, the bottom layer has a tendency to close the holes on the top layer.


When adhering ribbon to the backside of a piece of cardstock, adhere it using Sticky Strip and then cover it with Scotch Tape for added reinforcement.

That's plenty, and all for today!!
~Hallie
 
"For I know the plans I have for you, "declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 
*I believe/ know that God's plans are intentional and perfect; therefore, there are no such things as luck, accidents, or coincidences.


No comments:

Post a Comment